Not all the Superhero shows were successful back in 70's. To be fair though, there were more than two dozen superhero shows produced between 1972 and 1973. Here's a show that only ran for a season called the "Tetsujin Tiger Seven"- 鉄人タイガーセブン. The production team must have felt pretty confident following the final season of a pretty successful show called "Kaiketsu Lion Maru- 快傑ライオン丸. There were three major differences between the two shows;
- Main character's head is changed from lion to tiger.
- Ride of choice is changed from a horse to the motorcycle.
- Period piece to a modern age.
Though the show was not embraced among kids, its legacy lives on as one of the more daring shows today. Here are some of the examples of innovative and carefree writing;
- As the main character morphs into Tiger Seven, he abandons his motorcycle, which goes on to run over a small child.
- A villain from "lost continent" befriends a little girl and dies together as they hold hands.
- Tiger Seven puts on his "special glove," but finishes the villain with his kick.
The show deserves a come-back.
Enjoy the short clip.